As expected–2015 was an incredible year for music. Surprise releases from old favorites, highly anticipated albums that exceeded expectations, new voices with confident debuts–one of the challenges was making time to give proper attention to so many worthy listens.
This list represents my favorite albums of the year, which I classify as November 1, 2014-October 31, 2015. These are the albums that I return to again and again, through all my travels and many moods, ranked in order.
I limited the list to twenty in the hopes that it’s a manageable amount for you to check out and hopefully discover something new that you fall in love with too. Or maybe this list will remind you of some of your 2015 favorites. I posted below the artist, album title and one of my favorite tracks from the album. However, stayed tuned for my favorite songs of the year which is coming soon!
You’ll see some expected selections–anyone who didn’t see Black Messiah at number one doesn’t know me very well–but also some entries that were surprising, even to me. I listened to over a hundred new albums and EPs this year–my favorite EPs list is also coming soon–and there are many others that would have made the list in any other year. But this year was so stacked not everyone could be included. But I encourage you to follow me on Spotify, which I will be using exclusively in 2016–RIP Rdio–and we can share music throughout the year.
As always–I can’t wait to hear what titles made your list and what new albums this list helps you discover. So don’t be a stranger!
Here we go: (list is NSFW)
- Black Messiah, D’Angelo and the Vanguards
2. I Love You, Honeybear, Father John Misty
3. How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, Florence + the Machine
4. In Colour, Jamie XX
5. Summertime ’06, Vince Staples
6. Depression Cherry, Beach House
7. Wildheart, Miguel
8. To Pimp a Butterfly, Kendrick Lamar
9. In Your Bones, Meghan Rose
10. Currents, Tame Impala
11. Peace is the Mission, Major Lazer
12. Unbreakable, Janet Jackson
13. Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper, Panda Bear
14. Reality Show, Jazmine Sullivan
15. Honeymoon, Lana Del Rey
16. Carrie and Lowell, Sufjan Stevens
17. Communion, Years & Years
18. Dopamine, BØRNS
19. DS2, Future
20. If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late, Drake